Terms of Reference & Instructions
This initiative is for any Master of Educational Technology (MET) student in the Faculty of Education who is the first author and presenter of a paper, poster session, or workshop at a local, national or international conference that is clearly related to the field of educational technology and based on work arising from their participation in the MET program.
The goals of the initiative are 1) to provide financial support to graduate students who must travel to present their work at conferences, and 2) to increase the opportunity for all graduate students to build their scholarly profiles/track records.
Funds for this program are limited. In order to accommodate as many applications as possible, there are two caps for each application:
- The maximum amount available per application is CAD$1,500;
- Applicable expenses are limited to (a) travel to/from the conference, and (b) conference registration. All other costs (accommodation, meals, ground transportation, etc.) are not included.
View a sample list of potential conferences.
This is a reimbursement grant, meaning that successful applicants must first incur the costs of travel and then submit original receipts (including ALL boarding passes) for reimbursement. Note that written approval must be obtained before the travel occurs.
Students may apply to the grant more than once.
Applications must include:
- the original MET application form, completed and signed by yourself,
- an abstract of your paper, outline for the workshop, or overview of the poster you are presenting,
- a written invitation, addressed to you, to present at a conference (email confirmation is acceptable). If a personalized letter/email is not available, please submit your generic acceptance letter AND a copy of the conference program where you and your presentation title are clearly listed.
Once your application has been processed you will receive a confirmation email outlining the dollar amount approved.
After the conference has been completed, submit a copy of the confirmation email with your original receipts and original airline boarding passes for all legs of your journey (photocopies will not be accepted) AND a signed MET Travel Claim Form to the address below. Please note you can be reimbursed in Canadian or US funds and you must clearly specify your preference.
IMPORTANT: Do not include receipts in your application. Retain your receipts for reimbursement once your travel grant application has been approved, and all travel has been completed.
Send all documents to:
UBC Faculty of Education (EPLT)
1304 – 2125 Main Mall
Canada V6T 1Z4
Applications may be submitted at any time. Successful applicants will be notified by email and must then submit original receipts (photocopied receipts will not be accepted) along with the approval letter no later than 30 days after the end of the conference.
Be sure to indicate the currency (CAN or USD) and include both the grant approval email and original receipts as you will be reimbursed on one cheque only.
Note that reimbursement of funds generally takes between 4 to 6 weeks.
To be eligible to apply for this conference travel grant, you must:
- be registered as a MET student at the time of application
- be first author and presenter at a local, provincial or national/international conference.
Priority will be given to first-time applicants, but you may apply for this grant more than once.
Adjudication of Applications
Applications will be checked for eligibility and adjudicated by the MET Advisory Committee as necessary.