A number of resources are available to help students know what to expect before applying to the program. Below are various resources that will assist you in preparing to apply for admission.
Read These First!
Submit the Required Documents
A number of official documents must be received by UBC prior to your application being processed.
- Official Transcripts – One transcript is required from each post-secondary institution you have attended, other than UBC. All transcripts and degree certificates must arrive at UBC in sealed and endorsed envelopes issued by the Registrar of your home institution to be considered official. This requirement includes any institution where you took a course for a grade, even if the course(s) were transferred to another institution. Applicants who took courses at UBC do not have to submit UBC transcripts.International transcripts must include a notation of the degree earned. If it is not on the transcript, we will need an official degree certificate from the university as well as the transcript. Applicants should submit both official English translations (by the university) as well as original language transcripts and degree certificates.These transcripts should have been issued within two years of your application.
- Letters of Reference -Applicants must submit three letters from individuals able to report on your academic abilities and qualifications. For a reference document to be considered official, the document and the envelope’s seal must be signed by the referee. References can now be submitted electronically in the following manner: When you submit your application, include the reference’s email address. This will generate an automatic email which contains a link to a site where your reference can enter his/her reference, and then submit it. They can type as much as they want, despite the apparent size of the text box. This link will only be available when your application is submitted. If you plan on having your reference(s) submit their reference by mail, please leave the email address blank on the application.
- Essay – Students must submit an essay of up to 500 words outlining their professional and scholarly goals. This essay should be emailed to David Roy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Resume/CV – Please email your current resume/CV to David Roy email@example.com.
Send all supporting documents (transcripts, letters of references) to:
1304-2125 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4
Respect the Application Deadline
Please note the application deadlines noted below. This is the date by which we need not just your application, but also all relevant documents (transcripts, references, etc.) must be uploaded/submitted by this date. If your application is not complete by this deadline, it cannot be considered for the term that you applied for.
The checklist on your application (accessible by logging into your application account) will update as you upload documents or references are submitted. This will help you ensure that all documents get to us in a timely manner. It is the applicant’s responsibility to keep on top of fulfilling document requirements. Please contact us if you are having any problems with your documents.
For September start:
- TBDL or TBLS Certificate Program: June 30
For January start:
- TBDL or TBLS Certificate Program: November 6
Students must complete the online application for admission through the Faculty of Graduate Studies website. The online application should take 30-45 minutes to complete. An application fee will be charged, and can be paid online with Visa or Mastercard.
The online application can be found here.